I said I was going to try to be more consistent with this blogging and giving out information related to Mental Health and overall wellbeing. So, with that being said, I’m going to be discussing self-care because as I was recording these thoughts to write, I was in the midst of self-care myself, even though I was working on a blog at the same time, lol.
Since I’ve started in my promotion, I have literally sucked at self-care, so bad! I work all the time, I don't get enough rest, I rarely get any "me time". So last night, I got in a hot bath, I had some Epson Salt, some bubble bath, and a dissolvable bath bomb thrown in. I had the lights off with just some candles burning and I was just attempting to Zen. I took time to talk to God, I read some daily prayers, and did one of my favorite things, which is Pinterest!
So, let’s talk about self-care! Whether you are in the Mental Health field, the Medical field, whether you work at McDonalds, if you are an Electrician, especially if you are a Teacher, but anything, you should be utilizing self-care! Self-care is so important, and I think a lot of people don’t realize how instrumental it is in keeping you in the best shape possible! At the end of the day, you must take care of YOU! You must love you first, because at the end of the day, no one is going to love you or take care of you, like you.
Here are some examples of self-care that I use myself, when I do it.
1. Taking a nice hot bath, relaxes you and allows the day to melt away. While doing this, listen to music, read, even watching a movie while relaxing.
2. Foot Reflexology Massages! This is one of my faves! They are an hour-long massage, and if you find the right place, they are only $30, and its heaven! You’d be surprised that certain points in your feet are connected to other parts of your body, thus the reason why this is a good self-care.
3. Spiritually, you can spend time with your Higher Power, and this can be a method of self-care. If you are quiet and you are spending time through prayer or meditation or anything, that’s self-care all day.
4. Reading (which I used to do often) can be great. Read a chapter out of a book each night. Dedicate yourself to this simple self-care act by stating, “I will read one chapter each night before bed.” (Oh, and yes, I just basically gave myself that dedication, thanks for the idea, lol!)
5. Painting is relaxing as well. I love to paint, and I never paint. One of my goals for 2018 was to paint once a month, to equal 12 paintings in 2018. Ask me how many I have painted thus far…. If you guessed zero, then you are right!
6. Writing, whether it be blogging, journaling, poetry, etc… Writing can be a great tool for release. Whether you like to talk about your feelings and/or problems or if you don’t, writing them out can be a great personal release.
7. Working Out/Exercising are good endorphins, and if you struggle with your body, this is a plus! Self-Care and getting sexy, lol!
8. Dating. Whether your date is with yourself (which everyone should date themselves!), date with someone you like, or love, or are in a relationship with, or even a date with your kiddos if you have them. This is a good method of self-care as well.
There are so many more methods of self-care than what I have listed, and its honestly up to you to find the ones you like and the ones that work for you! Self-care is so vital and important! Self-care is under individual control, deliberate and self-initiated, meaning YOU must want it and YOU must do it! It’s simple. Like I’ve mentioned before, self-care can be for any and everybody. The most powerful relationship that you will ever have is a relationship with yourself. That’s why I’ve said that self-care and self-love are the best! So, remember to try and implement self-care into your life. It’s not just for the Mental Health or Medical fields, but its for everyone because you must take care of you.